Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I've been in here.

This is my alma mater....after a major renovation. I visited this building about 4 years ago and got candid comments about it from more than one faculty person. There is a lot I could share about it, but what is notable to me years after being there is the office hallway. Scroll down to see a picture. While the hallway is removed from the lab and classroom spaces enough that the offices are really very private, they have windows and are clearly filled with light and a nice spaciousness. And the space does invite students in for the purpose of studying by putting an area they call the commons (essentially a small unscheduled conference room) at the end of the hallway. I like that idea.

http://www.d4cost.com/pdeliver.cgi?sub_id=free&token=RH596691

You should have seen the VSC before renovation......it has changed dramatically.

7 comments:

  1. so ...how do I leave a post or an image or a link??? ...besides just a comment

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now an author of the blog, so you can post or comment whenever you wish. I think if you log in you can figure it out. My instinct is to let everyone in the department into the blog as authors, since that would keep the barrier to free communication as low as possible. So anybody else who reads this and wants a piece of the action....just ask!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put links in as URLs. Is it fair use to snag images from the web and put them here, if we provide a link for credit?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just helping Jeff get up to speed....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is significant that there are so many windows and the name is the Vermeer science center. So much light! so much attention to energy and light!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So i have some photos from my digital camera of spaces i have seen and spaces i use, how do i post a photo? I agree with others that the light is very illuminating!!! Both places Carol posted reminded me in certain ways of the new Science Building Nika gave me a tour of in Ellensburg, her alma mater.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There were people from Ellensberg at the PKAL meeting Gene Z. and I were at in N.Carolina. If I remember correctly they were in the middle of a multi-building project. Funding must be pretty good for the Washington University system!

    ReplyDelete